What is the Alliance for a Healthier World?
The Alliance for a Healthier World is a Johns Hopkins University signature initiative to integrate university-wide expertise and diverse perspectives to unlock groundbreaking knowledge addressing unresolved global health challenges. It serves as an enterprising partnership and resource hub to stimulate and support innovation around healthy equity via multidisciplinary events, funding grants, mentorship and strategic communication that bring the Hopkins community together. Experts from medicine, nursing, public health, international relations, engineering, education, economics, business, policy, bioethics, and across the natural and social sciences, arts and humanities, work side by side with partners and disadvantaged communities around the world.
It is designed as a boundary-spanning ecosystem. This involves linking researchers across disciplines; bridging interests of policy-makers, practitioners, civil society, vulnerable populations and academics; and networking with those working in the arts and humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, computational and clinical sciences around a common theme of global health equity – health and wellbeing for all.
The Alliance for a Healthier World specializes in cross-disciplinary, applied research that is focused on studying and seeking solutions to targeted complex global health challenges. This signature theme of our collective work is transforming health equity in low to middle income countries. Our innovative research is translated to engage policy makers and implemented in cooperation with partners and communities around the world.
The Johns Hopkins University Alliance for a Healthier World is made up of JHU faculty, staff, students, and our partners from around the world and in Baltimore who bring a focused attention to complex and systemic health inequities to create change built on multidisciplinary collaboration and deep engagement. We focus on promoting equity and justice in gender, food and nutrition security, healthy environments and transformative technologies and institutions that serve disadvantaged people around the world. In order to accomplish this:
· We convene a network of key stakeholders around health equity challenges
· We facilitate meaningful and inclusive conversations and help build multidisciplinary teams
· We distill key messages, insights and learnings relevant to global health equity challenges and opportunities and effectively communicate them to target audiences
· We provide resources aimed at addressing global health inequities by connecting people and providing grant funding
· We teach and model health equity perspective in our work
· We support an enabling environment for equitable access to innovation, invention and knowledge generation
· We seek out and form dynamic and mutually beneficial partnerships with individuals, communities and institutions in low and middle-income settings
· We raise funds for use in support of AHW goals and activities
Why focus on health Equity?
Want to understand health equity and how it influences approaches to global health challenges?
Read examples of how diverse disciplines can address specific health challenges
Learn about AHW's strategic approach, priorities and who is involved.